Student Life
New Student Orientation
Campus Ministry Association
Career Center
Center for Student Success
Colonial Theatre
Greek Life
Campus Recreation
Multicultural Student Services
Nicholson Center Facilities
Parent & Family Programs
Residence Life
RMU Bands
Student Activities
Student Civic Engagement
Student Clubs and Organizations
Student Conduct
Student Health Services
Student Life Policies


Frequently Asked Questions About Student Conduct at RMU

I received an e-mail stating I need to schedule a meeting about a possible violation of the Code of Student Conduct - what do I do now?
You have three (3) days to respond to the e-mail message. Incidents will not be discussed over e-mail. Even if you believe you haven't violated the Code of Student Conduct, it is still important that you schedule a meeting to provide any information helpful in resolving your incident.

What is an informal resolution meeting?

This is an informal meeting with a professional staff member who will decide responsibility for any alleged Code of Student Conduct violations from your incident. If your incident involves multiple students, you will have individual meetings. The goal of the meeting is to use all available reports and statements to decide who is responsible for the alleged violations from the incident.

What happens if I do not schedule an informal resolution meeting within three (3) days of receiving the e-mail or I don't attend my scheduled meeting?
Failure to schedule or attend an informal resolution meeting within three (3) days of receiving the e-mail message will result in that student's responsibility for any alleged violations being decided based on information available at that time. Additionally, the student loses his/her right to appeal the decision made.

What are my rights and responsibilities in the RMU student conduct process?
Please refer to Section 7 and Section 8 of the Code of Student Conduct regarding rights and responsibilities of students accused of student conduct violations.

May my attorney attend my informal resolution meeting or my student conduct board hearing?
Attorneys are prohibited from participating in the student conduct process. However if a parent/guardian happens to be an attorney by profession, they may attend the hearing in the advisory capacity as the parent/guardian.

My violation was off campus - why am I hearing from RMU if it wasn't on their property?
The Code of Student Conduct is a set of expectations for RMU student behavior regardless of location. Violations off campus that are reported to the university are approached as if they took place on campus property. Additionally, student conduct as part of university-sanctioned events, trips, and programs off campus are also subject to the Code of Student Conduct.

What exactly does "disciplinary probation" mean?
The sanction of disciplinary probation means that a student must prove him/herself to be a responsible member of the University community. Engaging in violations during the probationary period will result in more severe disciplinary action. The student or student group is permitted to remain enrolled at or retain recognition by the University under stated conditions, depending upon the nature of the violation and upon the potential learning value that may derive from specific restrictive measures. Further violations may result in immediate suspension, or expulsion from the University. Disciplinary probation is different than academic probation or financial aid probation.

Can I get my student conduct records expunged?
Robert Morris University does not clear or expunge student records at their request. Even if a student is found to be "not responsible" for an alleged violation, his/her record is kept according to the university's records management policy. Student conduct records are kept in original form for seven (7) years from the date of the student's last incident. Records of students who have been subject to suspension or expulsion are kept indefinitely.

Will my student conduct violations affect my future plans?
The student conduct process is separate from the university's academic operations. Results of student conduct violations are not reported to academic schools or departments. However, if a student's violations resulted in criminal charges, those charges could show up on a background check conducted by academic schools/departments or prospective employers.

What should I do if I have also been charged criminally? Isn't this double jeopardy?
Your citation has instructions on how to respond to any charges. RMU does not provide legal services or advisement on how to respond to a criminal charge or citation. While many Code of Student Conduct violations are also against the law, not all violations may result in a citation or criminal charge. The student conduct process is a separate, private civil process related to a student's status at the university.

If my charges are dropped by the district magistrate, will they also be dropped by RMU?
Criminal charges are dropped for many reasons. Only if a student can furnish proof of being found "not guilty" will alleged student conduct violations be dropped by RMU.

Will anything appear on my transcripts due to this incident?
RMU does not currently practice transcript notation.

Will you notify my parents/guardians about my violation?
Most students attending RMU are eighteen (18) years of age and legally adults and therefore subject to regulations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). RMU wants its legal adult students to independently take responsibility for their actions or presence for alleged student conduct violations. Should a student be found responsible for a violation of the Code of Student Conduct, a letter is sent home to parents/guardians notifying them of the violations. Copies of incident reports, student statements, or descriptions of the incidents are not provided to parents without expressed written consent of the student.

If a student is under eighteen (18) years of age, parents/guardians are notified by responding professional staff (usually University Police or Residence Life) immediately following an incident.

What can I do if I don't like the decision made regarding my incident?
Eligible students may elect to appeal the decision of their incidents. Information on appeals can be found in Section 11 of the RMU Code of Student Conduct.