DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
STUDENT LIFE >
COUNSELING CENTER >
EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION >
Relationships have the power to give us joy and happiness and have the power to cause a lot of stress. It is important to approach relationships as a partnership and to figure out what you need as a couple to have a healthy relationship.*
* If you are in an unhealthy relationship, it is important to have a strong support network to help you get out of that relationship and encourage you to seek the help you need to heal over the long term. Please let the Counseling Center help you in that journey by either walking in or setting up an appointment by calling (412) 397-5900.
Tips for Safe Dating in College
- Communicate, Communicate, Communicate
- Set limits and discuss what you want in a relationship and how far you are willing to go physically and emotionally.
- Tell a friend where you’re going and when you’re returning. Have them check in with you throughout the evening.
- Be Proactive
- Drive yourself to the date or meet your date somewhere.
- Go out in a group at first to get to know the person a little better.
- Go to public places at first.
- Make sure you carry cash in case you need a cab.
- Keep your emergency numbers in your phone.
- Be Responsible
- If you are going to drink alcohol, drink responsibly.
- Don’t ever accept a drink from a stranger or leave your drink unattended.
- Always make sure there is consent to any physical contact.
PAAR (Pittsburgh Action Against Rape)
1-866-END-RAPE (1-866-363-7273) - 24/7 support
Sexual Assault Helpline
Free legal/medical advocacy and counseling services for residents of Allegheny County, PA
Crisis Center North
412-364-5556 or 1-866-782-0911 - 24/7 support
Women's Center of Beaver County
724-775-0131 or 877-629-1841 - 24/7 support
Women's Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
412-687-8005 - 24/7 support
Love is Respect
1-866-331-9474 - 24/7 support; online chat available
National Dating Abuse Helpline
Peer advocates answer relationship questions and provide resources
Text “LOVEIS” to 22522 if your question is less than 160 characters
RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network)
1-800-656-HOPE (1-800-656-4673) - 24/7 support
National Sexual Assault Hotline
Red Flag Campaign
1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233) - 24/7 support
National Domestic Violence Hotline
Campaign to prevent dating violence on college campuses
Circle of 6
A free app that prevents dating violence before it happens
Half of Us - Break-Up
Half of Us - Abuse
View videos of real-life stories and learn how to cope with a break-up or abuse
Campaign to raise awareness and empower bystanders to end domestic violence and sexual assault
ReachOut: Relationship Fact Sheets
ReachOut fact sheets are written by young people for young people and are edited by a mental health professional.
Read real-life stories about various relationship issues here.