Student Life
RMU Counseling Center
Educational Information
Anxiety and Stress
Eating Disorders
Sexual and Domestic Violence
Sexual Identity
Faculty and Staff
For More Information, Contact:

RMU Counseling Center
412-397-5900 phone
412-397-5920 fax
Patrick Henry, Lower Level

The use, possession or distribution of narcotics or other controlled substances is prohibited, except as expressly permitted by law on University premises, and is considered contrary to the Student Code of Conduct. Paraphernalia associated with the use of illegal substances is not permitted on University property or at University sponsored events. Hookah pipes and/or other legal smoking devices are prohibited in the residence halls. Athletes should be aware as well that a positive drug test constitutes a violation of the University drug policy. The University encourages all members of the Robert Morris community to be aware of the consequences of the use, possession or distribution of narcotics or other controlled substances.

Individuals charged with use, possession or distribution of narcotics or other controlled substances can be disciplined under the University Student Conduct Process and may be prosecuted under Pennsylvania criminal statutes. Even if the criminal justice authorities choose not to prosecute, the University can pursue disciplinary action, which may result in dismissal from the University.

How to Help a Friend with a Drug Problem
  1. Notice behavior that is concerning.
    • Is your friend acting erratic, having major changes in sleeping or eating patterns, or becoming socially withdrawn? (Note, there are more symptoms than those listed).
  2. Calmly and non-judgmentally approach your friend, letting them know that you are concerned about them. State specific behaviors you've noticed that make you so concerned.
  3. Ask your friend if they have a drug problem.
    • If they say yes, ask if they would like to get help.
    • If they say no, ask them if there is anything else going on to explain the differences that you have noticed. If you believe your friend is in denial or lying to you, you may want to talk to their family. Be prepared that this will change your friendship and maybe even ruin it, but this drastic step could be what your friend needs.
  4. Help your friend get to the root cause of their drug use. For instance, do they use when they are lonely? If so, get them plugged into something on campus to invest in and meet people who do not use drugs.
  5. Continue to encourage your friend and be there for support.
  6. Help your friend connect to campus and community resources to give them greater support.

Need Help? 
Robert Morris University offers free and confidential counseling services for our students. To schedule an appointment, call the Counseling Center at 412-397-5900, send an email to counseling@rmu.edu, or stop by. 

Local Resources 

Narcotics Anonymous
Find a local NA meeting 

Gateway Rehab
800-472-1177 (main) offering individual outpatient therapy, IOP, and partial hospitalization)
Multiple locations in PA offering drug and alcohol treatment services including detox, inpatient (28 days), partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient programs (IOP), and individual outpatient therapy.
Live chat on their website is available Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM.

Greenbriar Treatment Center
1-800-637-4673 (main) or 412-788-6292 (Robinson location - offering IOP and partial hospitalization)
Greenbriar will come to RMU and provide a free and confidential Drug and Alcohol Assessment to give students options to help them reach their goal of recovery. Multiple locations in PA offering drug and alcohol treatment services including detox/inpatient (dual diagnosis), partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient programs (IOP).

TCV Community Services
412-351-0222 (option 2 for intake) or 412-381-2100 (office)
Offering dual diagnosis individual and group therapy, intervention groups for parents and teens, intensive outpatient programs, AA meetings, and DUI evaluations. Located in the South Side of Pittsburgh.

National Resources

National Drug Abuse Helpline
1-800-662-HELP (4357)

National Institute on Drug Abuse

What to Do If Your Friend or Loved Has a Problem With Drugs or Alcohol