Student Life
RMU Counseling Center
Educational Information
Anxiety and Stress
Eating Disorders
Sexual and Domestic Violence
Sexual Identity
Faculty and Staff
For More Information, Contact:

RMU Counseling Center
412-397-5900 phone
412-397-5920 fax
Patrick Henry, Lower Level


Did you know?

Most RMU Students:
  • choose not to binge drink.
  • drink two times a month or less. 
  • never drink and drive.   
  • don't let their drinking affect their relationships or their school work.  
*Statistics taken from the spring 2013 CORE Survey distributed in Communication Skills courses. 

Robert Morris University, in accordance with Pennsylvania law, adheres to a "Zero Tolerance" policy for underage (21) drinking. If you are over 21 and choose to drink, do so responsibly.  When a person's use of alcohol interferes with physical, social, or economic functioning, then alcohol abuse or dependence is present. It’s time to get help.

Symptoms of Alcohol Dependency 
  • Depression or unhappiness
  • Drinking in order to cope with personal problems
  • Isolating self from family and friends
  • Loss of interest in activities which were once of interest
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Poor judgment
  • Mood fluctuations
  • Developing health problems
  • Experiencing blackouts
  • Not fulfilling promises or obligations
  • Participating in high-risk/dangerous activities

Need Help? 
Robert Morris University offers free and confidential counseling services for our students. To schedule an appointment, call the Counseling Center at 412-397-5900, send an email to counseling@rmu.edu, or stop by. 

Find local meetings for Alcoholics Anonymous hereScroll to the bottom of the page for additional resources.

Alcohol Poisoning


PA Medical Amnesty Law
The Pennsylvania Medical Amnesty Law provides intoxicated minors (Under 21) amnesty if they call 911 due to a friend experiencing alcohol poisoning.  In order for the student to receive amnesty, the must comply with ALL of the following: 
  • The student must believe the person they are calling for is in need of immediate medical attention.  
  • The student must be the first to call 911. 
  • The student must comply with the police and give their name and the name of their friend.  
  • Only one person is able to stay with their sick friend and they must remain with the person in need of medical attention until the help is received. 

Local Resources

Gateway Rehab
800-472-1177 (main) or 412-747-0390 (Robinson location - offering individual outpatient therapy, IOP, and partial hospitalization)
Multiple locations in PA offering drug and alcohol treatment services including detox, inpatient (28 days), partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient programs (IOP), and individual outpatient therapy.
Live chat on their website is available Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM.

Greenbriar Treatment Center
1-800-637-4673 (main) or 412-788-6292 (Robinson location - offering IOP and partial hospitalization)
Greenbriar will come to RMU and provide a free and confidential Drug and Alcohol Assessment to give students options to help them reach their goal of sobriety. Multiple locations in PA offering drug and alcohol treatment services including detox/inpatient (dual diagnosis), partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient programs (IOP).

TCV Community Services
412-351-0222 (option 2 for intake) or 412-381-2100 (office)
Offering dual diagnosis individual and group therapy, intervention groups for parents and teens, intensive outpatient programs, AA meetings, and DUI evaluations. Located in the South Side of Pittsburgh.

Alcoholics Anonymous
Find local AA meetings

National Resources

College Drinking Prevention.gov
"A one-stop resource for comprehensive research-based information on issues related to alcohol abuse and binge drinking among college students, with online tools for parents, students, administrators and more." 

Alcohol Addiction Center
Comprehensive information about Alcohol Use Disorders (AUD).