Student Life
RMU Counseling Center
Distance Counseling
Who We Are
Hospitalization Information
Help A Friend
THRIVE Program
Drug and Alcohol Resources
Alcohol and Drug Classes
Community Resources
Educational Information
Faculty and Staff

 For More Information, Contact:

RMU Counseling Center
412-397-5900 phone
412-397-5920 fax
Patrick Henry, Lower Level

Drug and Alcohol Resources

Signs of Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Neglecting responsibilities, such as missing classes or work
  • A change in appetite or sleeping patterns
  • Putting themselves or others in danger, such as driving under the influence or using dirty needles
  • Legal troubles due to substances
  • Fighting with friends and family or losing some of their friends
  • Unexplained need for money and may borrow or steal to obtain it
  • Change in personality or attitude
The RMU Counseling Center is available to meet with students who are concerned about themselves or a friend's alcohol or drug abuse.  Counselors can provide referrals and support to students who are struggling with their drug or alcohol use and will help the student connect with local agencies to find the needed resources. 

PA Medical Amnesty Law
The Pennsylvania Medical Amnesty Law provides intoxicated minors (Under 21) amnesty if they call emergency responders due to a friend experiencing alcohol poisoning.  In order for the student to receive amnesty, they must comply with ALL of the following: 
  • The student must believe the person they are calling for is in need of immediate medical attention.  
  • The student must be the first to call the university police at 412-397-2424. 
  • The student must comply with the police and give their name and the name of their friend.  
  • Only one person is able to stay with their sick friend and they must remain with the person in need of medical attention until the help is received. 
The Counseling Center has compiled a brochure with relevant information about local resources, Pennsylvania laws and campus policies and drug and alcohol programming. 

Local Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers
(800) 637-4673 (main) or 412-788-6292 (Robinson location - offering IOP and partial hospitalization)
An evaluator from Greenbriar will come to RMU and provide a free and confidential Drug and Alcohol Assessment to give students options to help them reach their goal of sobriety. Multiple locations in PA offering drug and alcohol treatment services including detox/inpatient (dual diagnosis), partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient programs (IOP).
(800) 472-1177 (multiple locations) - offering individual outpatient therapy, IOP, and partial hospitalization)
Multiple locations in PA offering drug and alcohol treatment services including detox, inpatient (28 days), partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient programs (IOP), and individual outpatient therapy.

National Resources
Find local AA meetings

Narcotics Anonymous
Find local NA meetings

View videos of real-life stories and learn more about addiction

College Drinking Prevention.gov
"A one-stop resource for comprehensive research-based information on issues related to alcohol abuse and binge drinking among college students, with online tools for parents, students, administrators and more." 

National Drug Abuse Helpline
1-800-662-HELP (4357)

National Institute on Drug Abuse

Alcohol Addiction Center
Comprehensive information about Alcohol Use Disorders (AUD) and treatment

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program Biennial Report