DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
STUDENT LIFE >
RESIDENCE LIFE >
RESIDENCE HALLS > CABLE TELEVISION > CABLE TELEVISION FAQ'S
Cable Television FAQ's
Cable TV service at RMU is now digital. What this means is that your TV must have a compatible tuner that can receive digital cable channels. Most televisions manufactured within the last few years should have the correct tuner installed; however, they may not. If you are unsure, you should read below or check the specifications from your TV manufacturer to insure that it includes a QAM tuner. If your television does not have the correct tuner, you will need to purchase a new TV or exchange your current one for a new one. Alternatively, you can purchase an external tuner box that includes a QAM tuner.
Will the channel lineup change?
Yes, the channel lineup has changed as of Fall 2014. HD channels are now available. For the complete listing of channels, visit the Cable Television page.
What equipment is required?
You should check the specifications from your TV manufacturer to determine if it includes the required QAM tuner. There are several types of digital tuners found US-manufactured TVs. Compatibility includes:
Some less expensive TVs can come with a lower quality clear QAM tuner that may be unable to pick up all the digital channels. Users with certain TV brands, such as Dynex and Insignia, may experience these types of problems.
- QAM Tuner - compatible and required
- NTSC Tuner - not compatible
- ATSC Tuner - not compatible
This list of manufacturer compatibility has been compiled from external sources:
If you view any inaccurate information, please report it to ResTech.
- Dynex - limited models have a QAM tuner
- Insignia - limited models have a QAM tuner
- LG - most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Samsung - all models since 2009 have a QAM tuner (fifth digit of model number must be B or a letter beyond B in the alphabet)
- Sony - most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Sylvania - do not appear to have QAM tuners
- Toshiba - most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Visio - recent models have a QAM tuner
Who do I call if I have a problem?
For any issues with cable television, please contact ResTech at (412) 397-2299 or email@example.com.
If I just bought a TV for this year and my TV does not work, what will I have to do?
For incompatible TVs (TVs that do not contain a QAM tuner), you will have to return the TV to the store where you purchased it or purchase a new TV. Most stores will accept returns on newer TVs. Alternatively, you can purchase a external QAM tuner conversion box. See "What equipment is required?" above.