Residence Life Home
Care Packages
Residence Halls
Guide to Residence Living
Housing Options
Policies & Procedures
Alcohol Policy
IT Usage Policy
Break Period Housing Policy & Procedure
Candles and Incense Policy
Compliance with University Officials & Staff
Residence Hall Damage Policy & Procedures
Dress Regulation Policy
Drug Policy
Ejection of Objects from Windows
Entry Policy for Residence Hall Service Providers
Fire Safety Equipment & Procedures
Hospital Transportation Policy
Housing Accommodation Policy
Microwave Policy & Refrigerator Policy
Pet Policy
Private Room & Consolidation Policy
Quiet Hours & Courtesy Hours
Residency Requirement Policy
Room & Building Keys/Card Access
Room Change Policy and Procedures
Room Furnishings
Sexual Misconduct Policy
Smoking Policy
Solicitation Policy
Student Conduct Information
Trash Removal & Recycling Policy
Vacating Rooms
Visitation Policy
Weapons Policy
Professional Staff
Housing Contract
Roommate Information
Community Advisor (CA) Staff
Summer Intern Housing Program
National Residence Hall Honorary
Residence Hall Association
Fees & Rates
Links & Forms

For More Information, Contact:

Office of Residence Life
Washington Hall

412-397-5252 phone
412-397-2431 fax

Private Room & Consolidation Policy

Any student may request a private room; however, generally first year students will not be permitted to reside in a private room. An additional fee will be charged whenever a request is honored. Only those rooms originally designated for single or double occupancy will be considered for private room accommodations. Triple and quadruple rooms may not be occupied as a single room.

The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to require single occupants of rooms, except those who have reserved their rooms on a private or single basis, to move together when doing so will: (1) reduce the cost of utilities, (2) facilitate cleaning, (3) make space available for the housing of special groups, or (4) support the private room policy.

If you are in a room without a roommate, and all temporarily assigned residents have been placed, your residence hall staff will give you the Room Consolidation Form. this form gives you the option of retaining the room at the private room rate, requesting that a specific student be consolidated into your room, or moving in with another resident that does not currently have a roommate. Should consolidation not occur, and you are allowed to stay in your current room without a roommate, you are required to leave half (1/2) of the room free of your belongings, and to accept the next roommate that is assigned to your room. This will only happy if you are the last person in your living unit without a roommate. Be aware that you may receive a new roommate at any time during the semester. If a student is assigned to your room and cannot move in because of lack of space, you will automatically be billed for a private room from the first day of the semester.