DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
STUDENT LIFE >
RESIDENCE LIFE >
POLICIES & PROCEDURES >
Students who are of legal age are permitted to consume alcohol under the following guidelines:
Students who violate the Alcohol Policy can be disciplined under the University Student Code of Conduct Process and may be prosecuted under the Pennsylvania criminal statutes. Even if the criminal justice authorities choose not to prosecute, the University can pursue disciplinary action, which may result in dismissal from the University.
- The presence of alcohol in the residence of students over the legal age of 21 is acceptable if not publicly displayed and if not used in the presence of or provided to those who are underage.
- Tailgating is permitted in the designated tailgating lot only for home football games. Tailgating is subject to rules and standards set by the university’s Tailgating Policy.
- Public drunkenness or disorderly behavior while under the influence will result in appropriate disciplinary action.
- Students who are underage may not possess or drink alcoholic beverages . Students who are underage may not be in the presence of others consuming alcohol, even if a room or apartment is shared by students on both sides of the legal drinking age.
- Substantial quantity of alcoholic beverage or common source containers (e.g., beer kegs, beer balls or punch bowls) may not be brought onto campus.
- Alcoholic beverage bottles, cans, empty kegs, beer balls, taps, etc. may not be used for decorative purposes in the residence halls.
- Alcoholic beverages will not be allowed at any event on campus unless expressly approved by the University.
- Individuals or groups sponsoring formal or informal events off-campus are responsible for upholding the Pennsylvania alcohol law.
- Students are responsible for removing containers of alcohol for a room, suite, or apartment, when asked by a residence life staff member. Housekeeping staff are not responsible for cleaning or removing alcohol related container trash.
- No residence hall room, lounge, common area, space or assigned student organizational suite may contain paraphernalia or equipment for drinking games. Students are prohibited from participating in drinking games in the residence halls. The definition of drinking games includes but is not limited to the consumption of shots of alcohol, liquor or alcoholic beverages, the practice of consuming shots equating to one's age, beer pong, century club, dares or any other activity involving the consumption of alcohol which involves duress or encouragement related to the consumption of alcohol. Apparatus for easy alcohol consumption such as beer bongs, funnels, or ice luges are also prohibited to be used on campus.