DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
STUDENT LIFE >
GREEK LIFE >
Dear Parents and Families,
Welcome and thank you for your interest in fraternities and sororities at RMU! Your student will have countless opportunities for involvement making endless memories at Robert Morris University, and we’re pleased that he or she is considering fraternity or sorority membership. Being a member of a fraternity/sorority is about making lasting friendships and enhancing your personal development by committing to the values and ideals of your organization. By joining a fraternity or sorority, your student will be joining hundreds of others on our campus in search of leadership opportunities, community involvement, and life-long friendships.
Who is in charge?
What will my student be doing?
Will this affect my student's grades?
Will this affect my student's graduation?
Research Supports Fraternity & Sorority Membership
In May 2014, research released by Gallup showed that fraternity and sorority members are more likely than all other college graduates to be thriving in each of the five elements of well-being: purpose, physical, social, financial, and community.
- Fraternity and sorority members who are employed full time are more engaged in the workplace than all other college graduates.
- Fraternity and sorority members are more likely than all other college graduates to be thriving in each of the elements of well-being (purpose, social, financial, community, and physical).
- Fraternity and sorority members strongly agreed at a higher rate than non-members that their institution prepared them for life after college.
- College graduates who were not members of a national fraternity or sorority are slightly less likely to be attached to their alma maters.
In November 2014, Robert Morris University participated in the AFA/EBI Fraternity and Sorority Assessment to study satisfaction, learning outcomes, and overall effectiveness of the fraternity/sorority experience at RMU. A full report of the survey results will be available in spring 2015. Some preliminary highlights of our results:
- 90% of students agree that their fraternity/sorority experience prepared them for a lifetime of engagement, leadership, and well-being - placing our experience in direct compliment to the university's new five-year strategic plan;
- 80% of students say their fraternity/sorority experience has made a positive impact on their decision to stay at RMU;
- Nearly 75% of students say hazing wasn't a part of their fraternity/sorority experience;
- 80% of students would recommend joining a fraternity/sorority to a friend;
- 95% of students say they are satisfied with their fraternity/sorority experience.