DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
STUDENT LIFE >
CAMPUS RECREATION >
INTRAMURAL SPORTS >
General Playing Rules
- Any rule or play interpretation not covered in these rules shall be governed by the playing rules established by the
- United States Volleyball Association (USVBA).
- Each match is best out of 3 games. Each game is rally scoring to 25.
- Each team can have a maximum of 6 players on the court. Each team can have a maximum of 4 men on the court.
- If the serve hits the net, the play will continue.
- If the volleyball hits the ceiling, lights, wall, etc, the play is over.
- Double hits, lifts, and carries will be judged by the official.
- Any player's foot, hand, or other body part, that completely crosses the centerline inside the court will be called for a violation.
- If anyone touches the net, a violation will be called.
- Only proper gym shoes are allowed on the court, during the match.
- No more than two club volleyball players are permitted on one team.
- A block is not considered to be one of the 3 contacts.
- The serve cannot be blocked.
- The ball may be hit with any part of the body.
- A ball which is entirely on the opponent's side of the net is permitted to be blocked when the opposing team has had an opportunity to complete its attack.