DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES >
STUDENT LIFE >
CAMPUS RECREATION >
INTRAMURAL SPORTS >
General Playing Rules
- 12 players max, 5 on the field at a time.
- Rosters frozen after first game.
- Length: 2 twenty minute halves.
- Overtime: Each team will have three tries to score from the 20 yard line. If the team scores it will have the option to go for either a one or two point conversion. If the game reaches a third overtime, teams will be required to attempt a two point conversion after a score.
- Protests: All decisions on the field are final except for eligibility protests.
- Forfeits: Must play with at least 4 players. There will be a 10 minute grace period.
- Touchdowns are worth 6 points
- PAT: From 2 yard line = 1 point, from 10 yard line = 2 points
- Safety = 2 points
- Defensive TD on a PAT = 2 points
- Five Downs:
- Each team has 5 downs to move the ball the length of the field.
- There are no 1st downs.
- There are no field goals or punting, after 4 downs, teams can either go for the TD or give the ball to their opponent on their 20 yard line.
- Fumbles: Fumbled ball is dead when it hits the ground. Possession goes to the team that last had control of the ball.
- Player is Down When:
- The player's flag is pulled off.
- The ball carrier's knee hits the ground.
- A player is touched with one hand after his/her flag inadvertently falls off.
- Blocking: THERE IS NO BLOCKING!!!
- Holding: The defense may not hold the ball carrier to pull the flag
- Ball Carrier: No straight arms or knocking away the hand of the defensive player as to impede his progress to pull the flag.
- Pass Receivers: All players are eligible to receive a pass.
- Rush of Passer:
- Those rushing the passer must line up four yards from the line of scrimmage (this will be marked).
- The defender can begin his rush after the referee counts to 4 seconds and gives the okay.
- Each team gets one blitz per 5 downs. (The defender does not have to wait the 4 seconds to rush).
- Line of Scrimmage: You must have 3 players at the line of scrimmage.
- Timeouts: Each team has one timeout per half (not accumulating).